Pregnant Women Need Special Care
It’s important to get care early if you’re pregnant. Call Member Services at 1-855-221-5656, (TTY: 711), as soon as you can. We can help you:
- Choose a PCP or OB/GYN for your pregnancy (prenatal) care
- Get into special programs for pregnant members, like childbirth classes
- Get healthy food through the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program
If you’re not sure you’re pregnant, make an appointment with your provider for a pregnancy test.
If you know you’re pregnant and have already chosen your pregnancy provider, call him or her to make an appointment. If you need help finding a provider, call Member Services at 1-855-221-5656, (TTY: 711). You can also search for a provider.
Your provider will tell you how often you should see him or her. Keep all of these appointments. Early and regular care is very important for your health and your baby’s health.
Your PCP or OB/GYN will help you with the following:
- Regular pregnancy care and services
- Special classes for moms-to-be, such as childbirth or parenting classes
- What to expect during your pregnancy
- Information about good nutrition, exercise and other helpful advice
- Family planning services for after your baby is born -- this includes birth control pills, condoms and tubal ligation (getting your tubes tied)
Healthy pregnancy tips
- Your provider will tell you when you need to come back for a visit. It's important for you and your baby's health to keep all your appointments.
- Childbirth classes can help with your pregnancy and delivery. These classes are free. Ask your provider about the classes and how you can sign up for them.
- High lead levels in a pregnant woman can harm her unborn child. Older houses sometimes have lead in the paint. Ask your provider if you need a blood test for lead exposure.
- It's important that you don't smoke, drink alcohol or take illegal drugs. These can seriously harm you and your baby.
PROMISE Pregnancy Program
If you're expecting a baby, our Promise Pregnancy program is for you. Our maternity care program helps you learn how to take care of yourself and your baby. You'll get support and help throughout your pregnancy. Our Promise Pregnancy program is a benefit for you before and after your baby is born.
- You can earn a $10 gift card for your first prenatal appointment within the first trimester or within 42 days of enrollment
- You can earn a $10 gift card for attending a dental checkup during your pregnancy
- You can earn a second $10 gift card for attending your postpartum visits 21 to 56 days after your delivery, including family planning or long-acting contraceptive activities
- You can earn a portable crib or a diaper-and-wipe package ($80 value) when you complete at least 7 prenatal visits before delivery and one visit after delivery
- You can earn a play yard, car seat or a diaper-and-wipe package ($125 value) when you complete 8 to 10 prenatal visits before delivery and one visit after delivery
- You can earn a stroller or a diaper-and-wipe package ($150 value) when you complete 11 or more prenatal visits before delivery and one visit after delivery
- Plus sign up for Text4baby™ a free text service on your cell phone that sends you health tips and reminders throughout your pregnancy.
You can participate in the PROMISE Program by calling Member Services at 1-855-221-5656, (TTY: 711). Ask to speak to Service Coordination, where you will learn more about the program and they will help you complete a Health Screening Tool.
After you have your baby
You should see your own PCP or OB/GYN within 6-8 weeks after your baby is born. You will get a well-woman checkup to make sure you are healthy. Your PCP will also talk with you about family planning.
Programa para Mujeres, Bebés y Niños (WIC, sigla en inglés)
Here are some of the services the Kansas Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program gives you at no cost to you:
- Help with breastfeeding questions
- Referrals to agencies
- Healthy food
- Healthy eating tips
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
You can call WIC directly to see if you and your child are eligible at 1-800-852-5770. You can also go the WIC website. If you have questions about WIC or if you would like help with coordinating services for your pregnancy, you can call Member Services at 1-855-221-5656, (TTY: 711).